Balls, Sticks, & Stuff
8/05/2004
 
Dipping into the Mailbag
It has been a while since the first edition of the Balls, Sticks, & Stuff Mailbag, so let's take a peek inside the ol' inbox and see what's there...


To: ballssticksstuff@yahoo.com
From: larry.bowa@phillies.com
Subject: advice
Body: Hey, I've been reading your website and you seem fairly knowledgeable, I have no idea how you knew about the photos I have of Ed Wade. It's almost like he was doing "GM's Gone Wild!" You seem to be a little rough on me though, you'll probably end up writing for a newspaper in Vegas. Anyway, I was wondering, what lineup do you think I should use for tonight's game in San Diego? Sterling Hitchcock is going against us and I am going to be without the VP of my fan club, Pat Burrell for some time. Thanks, your buddy, L-Bo.

Hey Larry, thanks for thinking I might be able to contribute. Apparently you haven't read many of my posts...Anyway, it's funny you should ask, because, I've been thinking a bit about how the lineup should shake out. I think until Pat "Where's the Bat?" Burrell comes back, the lineup should look something like this versus lefties:

SS - J-Roll
2B - Polanco
RF - Abreu
1B - Thome
LF - Jason Michaels
3B - David Bell
C - Lieby
CF - Marlon Byrd

I realize that line-up bunches the lefties and righties together - something that has slightly irritated me all year when you don't put Burrell in between Abreu and Thome - but the most important thing is that Douggie Glanville is NOT in the lineup. Nothing against him, I would love to chat with him, he seems pretty sharp, but did you see the cut he took at that breaking ball last night? My brother Geoff said, "I came just as close to hitting that ball as he did and I am 3,000 miles away."

And against righties:

SS - J-Roll
2B - Polanco
RF - Abreu
1B - Thome
3B - David Bell
LF - Chase Utley
C - Lieby
CF - Marlon Byrd

With this lineup, you have David Bell splitting up Abreu, Thome, and Utley - all lefties, and besides, Bell hits right-handed pitchers decently (806 OPS). The other important thing to note is that Glanville is NOT in the starting lineup. I know he put the ball in play quite a bit last night, but I wouldn't press your luck.


To: ballssticksstuff@yahoo.com
From: adv@fyi-consumer.com
Subject: Nokia color screen phone at NO Cost
Body: Switch your carrier! Keep your number! We can help you! Get a FREE Nokia phone with a color screen from We Deliver Cellular dot com!

Wow, thanks, but I'll pass, but can you do me a favor and not send this email to Roberto Hernandez and Larry Bowa or Joe Kerrigan? I do not want the Phillies dugout calling the bullpen to get Roberto anymore than he already does (which is way too much) unless the Phils are up by 10 runs in the 9th inning. Thanks again.



<< Home

Archives
  • 07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
  • 08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
  • 09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
  • 10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004