Balls, Sticks, & Stuff
8/20/2004
 
Bobby Bowa
Everybody's talkin' all this stuff about me
Why don't they just let me live?
I don't need commission, make my own decisions
That's my prerogative

They say I'm crazy
I really don't care
That's my prerogative
They say I'm nasty
But I don't give a damn
Getting girls is how I live


If it wasn't for that last line, I might actually think that Bobby Brown was going through Larry Bowa's head as he woke up this morning. Indeed, everybody's talkin' all this stuff about "Bo". All forms of media in all parts of the country have been speculating about Larry Bowa's termination. After every loss, the speculation increases, and every day, Bowa is still in charge. The rumors are actually flying so fast, that Peter Gammons can't keep up with himself. On Wednesday, Gammons reported that Bowa would survive to manage next season, but that his coaching staff would be wiped clean. Then on last night's Baseball Tonight, Gammons reported that Phillies players have been calling players on other teams and telling them that Bowa will be fired Friday afternoon. What did these players think when Bowa was standing in the entrance to the plane that was to take the team to Milwaukee greeting them like a flight attendant? "Hi there...hello...hi there...good to see you...thanks for losing with us...hello..."

When a season goes such as this one, there is no one person or cause to blame. It's a collective failure, hitters, pitchers, coaches, general managers - everyone. And while everyone can't be replaced, some people can. Fire Bowa now, replacing him in the interim with Charlie Manuel, and then in the offseason replace the rest of the coaches and find a permanent manager. By replacing Bowa now, there is a chance that Wade and Manuel and Arbuckle and Monty can find something out about this team that will help them fix it for next year.

Firing Bowa on August 20, 2004 won't save this season, but it might save 2005's.




<< Home

Archives
  • 07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
  • 08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
  • 09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
  • 10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004